Kin - Kealan Patrick Burke
A great read from an author whoose work I have enjoyed in the past. It's the story of Claire Lambert who escapes the horrors inflicted upon her at the hands of a backwoods clan whoose leader and father goes by the name of Papa-In-Gray. The story is part horror and part revenge and a great list of characters is introduced; Finch damaged gulf war veteran, Louise chasing a dream that will never happen, Jack and his son Pete (who plays a central role in the thirst for revenge) Beau close friend to Finch, Sheriff McKindrey whoose true intentions become clear as the story develops, Dr Wellman, and the somewhat overweight Momma-In-Bed...closely followed by the rest of the clan/kin...Aaron, Luke, et al...

In some ways I think the story faded in the second half and although justice was seen to be done, the method of closure did not live up to what I had come to expect from KPB. Having said that the author has a superb writing style and even if the subject matter and conclusion did not reach my high expectations the quality of the writing carried the story through.