The End of the World Running Club - Adrian J Walker

Enjoyable dystopian novel where our hero Edgar is confronted with a world part destroyed by asteroids. His family become separated and he must make the long journey from Edinburgh to Falmouth by the only available mode, running.  The story is full of sadness, and endeavour as Edgar tries to discover his inner self and realize, hopefully not too late, that when everything is stripped away what is left and what really is important is family.

The author regards Edgar's journey as an opportunity to question human ideals and to show the reader how survival can be possible when all human excess and comfort has been removed...."Perhaps there was a reason why we had filled our world with distraction after all. Perhaps there was a reason why we surrounded ourselves with plastic and light and excess. Perhaps our collective consciousness remembered all too well what it was like in darkness, surrounded by wet, rotten wood, mud, and nothing good to eat."

As a keen runner, I do understand the need to run, and so Edgar by this means of travel is not only able to discover and see the devastation left in the wake of the disaster but also banish inner demons and discover his inner self..."But there's nothing unusual about an old man who runs. He leaned in again. They're always out there, aren't they? Skinny bas%*&ds hobbling about in mangy shorts with their wee cocks flapping about inside."

There were occasion where I felt the writing was a little clichéd and the author was using the opportunity to preach the same old story of human greed and excess ..."This is how we all end up; running through our own wilderness, the landscape of disjointed events that form our lives, with nobody to make sense of it but ourselves. The road is ours and ours alone."  However as a dystopian tale this was very enjoyable, and easy to read, if at times a little overrun (!) with quotes and the need for self discovery..."Most of the time we're just blind idiots seeking joy in a world full of fear and pain."