I was thrilled last night to meet the fantastic Stuart MacBride when he captivated a small and selective audience at Topping & Company Booksellers Bath, following the publication of his latest book A Dark so Deadly. His wit and charm together with the gentle softness of his Scottish dialect easily won over his enthralled fans as he proceeded to tell some great events and stories that had occurred throughout this writing career. Of particular note and enjoyment was the thinking behind "Blind Eye" (fifth in the Logan McRae series) In this book someone is preying on Aberdeen's Polish population and part of Stuart's research for this book concerned him not only understanding Polish but attempting to learn some of the phrases. He was eager to pass this knowledge onto his fans and soon we were all repeating "Dzien dobry" (good morning) and "Nie rozumien" (I don't understand) much to the amusement of our charismatic teacher. An audience with an author is so much better than a book signing as it is your opportunity to really know and understand the writer behind the books. During question and answers I was able to ask Stuart about his hopes and dreams of introducing DI Logan McRae to an American audience. There is so much Celtic humour and irony built into his novels that it may take a little time for the US to appreciate what a star he is. Topping & Company are delightful hosts and we were all invited to partake of a glass of wine as we eagerly awaited the arrival of the maestro. It was a wonderful evening with a charming and elegant speaker, a true gentleman who really appreciates and values his readers.